A Parent Guide to School Transfer


1) Find a school


If you are in Houston ISD or Austin ISD, use the Mobility Blueprint Map to locate a school in your new neighborhood. Otherwise, locate a school in your new neighborhood by visiting the Texas Education Agency’s School District Locator at or by calling the District that serves your new neighborhood.

2) Provide documentation


Provide residency documentation/ Proof that you live in the neighborhood to the new school:

  • Utility bill (gas or electric) within the last 60 days
  • Documentation from a federal, state, or local government agency within the last 60 days
  • An original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage agreement
  • A property tax bill
  • A water bill
  • Payroll documentation from an employer within the past 60 days

3) Immunizations up-to-date?

Provide proof that your child has all state required immunizations or provide a valid exemption from the immunization requirements.

4) Deliver school records!

Deliver school records from the previous school to the new school, so that teachers can see your child’s progress and academic standing. These documents include: 

  • Last report card
  • Child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or any other special education records, if applicable. Please contact the Front Office Staff at your child’s current school to collect these Documents.

Schools may not ask for proof of citizenship or immigration status. If your child does not have all the documents listed above, the school must admit the student temporarily, but still requires the above documents.

Homeless Students: The McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act ensures educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness. If you believe that you may qualify for homeless services, contact your school, or the Texas Homeless Education Office at 1-800- 446-3142.